Historically, Ontonagon County current economy has been dominated by three large sectors: copper mining and processing, paper product production, and the fabrication of metal components. Following the announced closing of active copper mining and processing in 1995, the county economy is looking at an increase in small businesses to support a growing tourism industry. This industry is currently built around snowmobiling and the facilities found in the Porcupine Mountains State Park, the Ottawa National Forest, and a wide selection of other recreation sites. While forest products and tourism will continue to provide an economic base, non-forest related manufacturing and service sectors will have an opportunity to emerge from an active economic development recruitment program. State of the art infrastructure is in place for telecommunications and other businesses. A highly skilled available workforce is one of the county's greatest asets. Porcupine Mountain Wilderness State Park; Lake of the Clouds; Ontonagon Harbor, Lighthouse and Marina; Old Victoria Restoration Site; Ewen Load of Logs; Lake Gogebic area; Bond Falls Flowage; Agate Falls; Ottawa National Forest; 24+ wild and scenic waterfalls; public and private campgrounds; Lake Superior and numerous inland lakes, rivers, and snowmobile trails, plus an on-going efforts to designate ATV trails.
Cities, Towns & Villages:
Attractions and Events:
- Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park.
- Agate Falls - Off of Hwy 28 between Bruce Crossing and Trout Creek. 7 miles SE of Bruce Crossing at roadside park.
- Bond Falls Scenic Site - From US 2, to US 45 N. to Paulding turn right on Bond Falls Rd., 4 miles E. follow signs.
- Cascade Falls - West branch of the Ontonagon River, 6.5 miles NE of Bergland.
- Greenstone Falls - Located within the Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park.
- Greenwood/Bonanza Fall - Big Iron River, 4 miles N of White Pine.
- Little Trap Falls - Carp River inlet, 5 miles SW of Silver City.
- Nonesuch Falls - Iron River, 1.5 miles W of White Pine.
- O-Kun-De-Kun Falls - Baltimore River, 8 miles N of Bruce Crossing.
- Overlook Falls - Located within Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park.
- Pewabeck Falls - Little Iron River, 6 miles SE of Silver City.
Wineries & Vineyards: