Lighthouses
HomeCountiesAttractionsDining OutLodgingOrganizationsOutdoorsServicesShoppingAdvertising With Us

Photo-Lighthouse02

"The Lighthouse"
by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

The rocky ledge runs far into the sea, and on its outer point, some miles away, the lighthouse lifts its massive masonry, A pillar of fire by night, of cloud by day.

Even at this distance I can see the tides, Upheaving, break unheard along its base, A speechless wrath, that rises and subsides in the white tip and tremor of the face.

And as the evening darkens, lo! how bright, through the deep purple of the twilight air, Beams forth the sudden radiance of its light, with strange, unearthly splendor in the glare!

No one alone: from each projecting cape And perilous reef along the ocean's verge, Starts into life a dim, gigantic shape, Holding its lantern o'er the restless surge.

Like the great giant Christopher it stands Upon the brink of the tempestuous wave, Wading far out among the rocks and sands, The night o'er taken mariner to save.

And the great ships sail outward and return Bending and bowing o'er the billowy swells, And ever joyful, as they see it burn They wave their silent welcome and farewells.

They come forth from the darkness, and their sails Gleam for a moment only in the blaze, And eager faces, as the light unveils Gaze at the tower, and vanish while they gaze.

The mariner remembers when a child, on his first voyage, he saw it fade and sink And when returning from adventures wild, He saw it rise again o'er ocean's brink.

Steadfast, serene, immovable, the same, Year after year, through all the silent night Burns on forevermore that quenchless flame, Shines on that inextinguishable light!

It sees the ocean to its bosom clasp The rocks and sea-sand with the kiss of peace: It sees the wild winds lift it in their grasp, And hold it up, and shake it like a fleece.

The startled waves leap over it; the storm Smites it with all the scourges of the rain, And steadily against its solid form press the great shoulders of the hurricane.

The sea-bird wheeling round it, with the din of wings and winds and solitary cries, Blinded and maddened by the light within, Dashes himself against the glare, and dies.

A new Prometheus, chained upon the rock, Still grasping in his hand the fire of love, it does not hear the cry, nor heed the shock, but hails the mariner with words of love.

"Sail on!" it says: "sail on, ye stately ships! And with your floating bridge the ocean span; Be mine to guard this light from all eclipse. Be yours to bring man neared unto man.

 

Lighthouses

Charlevoix South Pier Light, Grant Street (DNR Office), Charlevoix, MI 49720, Phone: (231) 547-0373.  The Charlevoix South Pier Light is located on the west end of the south pier in Charlevoix Michigan. It has a skeletal base and a pyramidal steel tower. The first light in this area to be installed was on the north pier in 1885 and was made of wood. The wooden light was moved to the south pier in 1914, and the new steel light replaced the wooden one in 1948. The light is still an active aid to navigation on Lake Michigan. The pier is open to the public, but the light itself is not. Access to this light is by car.

Old Mission Point Lighthouse, Mission Point, Old Mission, MI 49673, Phone: (734) 529-2333. Built in 1870, this light is now maintained as a park by the State of Michigan and serves as living quarters for township employees. It is half way between the North Pole and the Equator exactly on the 45th parallel. It was decommissioned in 1933.

South Manitou Island Light, PO Box 277, South Manitou Island, MI, Phone: (231) 256-9061. Located in Leelanau county, southeast of south Manitou islands. Strategically located off the mainland coast of Michigan, the Manitou Islands formed the western side of what was known as the "Manitou Passage." By traveling through this passage, vessels were able to reduce the distance between ports on the southern shores into the Straits of Mackinac by sixty miles, as compared to the trip around the islands on the lake side

Waugoshance Light [Lighthouse], Waugoshance Light, Cross Village, MI 49723, Phone: (800) 828-6157. A silent and majestic sentinel, the Waugoshance Lighthouse marks the western entrance to the Straits of Mackinac. This treacherous area of Lake Michigan was the location of the first Lightship, stationed on Waugoshance Shoal in 1832. It was used to help guide the many ships through the area, now known as Wilderness State Park. After nineteen years of service, in 1851, the Lighthouse Board decided to replace the Lightship with the present Lighthouse.

Shop PatoFurnitureUSA.com Today!
 


[Home] [Counties] [Attractions] [Amusement Parks] [Casinos] [Farms/Mills] [Historic Sites] [Lighthouses] [Museums] [Parks & Preserves] [Racetracks] [Wildlife Viewing] [Zoos] [Dining Out] [Lodging] [Organizations] [Outdoors] [Services] [Shopping] [Advertising With Us]


EF Logo1

Copyright © 1997-2017. Enchanted Forest Web Page Design Service.  All rights reserved.
“Promoting Northern Michigan Businesses & Organizations Since 1997”
“A Veteran Owned & Operated Business”
3980 Curtisville Road, South Branch, MI 48761-9704
Email: support@theenchantedforest.net
Last updated Monday, September 25, 2017

VVACOLOR